REALLY bad timing...

Today is Saturday. Family arrives on Wednesday. We are hosting 10 for Thanksgiving on Friday. My list of things to do for the next 2 days is a MILE long. And I have a cold. A I-can't-breathe-or-think-straight cold.

Normally I would take some cold medicine and push through the next week -- but the last time I got sick and didn't take care of myself I ended up unable to function for months... so I am a little paranoid about being sick and I am not going to push myself. At all.

So now I have a mental checklist --
If I don't get better by tomorrow the pies will be store-bought.
If I am not better by Monday the sides will be simplified.
If I am not better by Wednesday the stuffing will be Pepperidge Farm.

I just keep reminding myself... Thanksgiving is about being together... so the food isn't that important. The down side is that if most things are store-bought I will not be able to eat most of the meal (gluten is everywhere). But better to miss out, than to end up back where I was in June (I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome this summer).

It's funny. I always get what the kids bring home... and I've never given it much thought. I've gotten quite good at pushing through and keeping the household going while sick... and now a simple cold brings a terrible feeling of fear. I have never been afraid of being sick, and now I am afraid not of the cold but of having my health fall apart again.

On the positive side I get to spend the morning sitting in bed, playing on my computer and drinking tea instead of running around like a crazy person.

5 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Sorry that you're under the weather. Can't Ian and the family arriving on Wednesday do all the holiday meal if you're not back to normal? Take care of yourself as you don't want to get run down again.

Anonymous said...

I am with Tina!
People coming Wednesday, at least the ones I know a little, are very capable people, and if you let them free in your kitchen, I am sure, you all will have a great meal and a good time. Yours may be shortened be the cold.
Olga

Katya said...

Oh, definitely. The problem is that most of the recipes I was planning are complicated and exist only in my head. :-)
So I will need to simplify to make it possible for someone else to take over... and I have to do the shopping before they arrive... because they get in on Wednesday night and everything is closed on Thursday.

I am feeling better this morning... so I am going to try to make a couple of loaves of GF bread today for the stuffing.

Tina in CT said...

Send Ian off with the shopping list and you can be an armchair chef from the couch supervising the kitchen crew.

From your mother's comment, I guess they aren't going to Atlanta for the holiday.

Hope you're better.

Joe Ganci said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, dear Katya! I wouldn't worry so much about the food. The privilege of being in your home on Thanksgiving and soaking in your wonderful spirit would make me thankful enough!