“I am going to cry… I just met my cousin and now we have to go…I love it here” (Ben) (Lake Winnipesauke)

Yes, Ben, we do, too. We spent a day at Grammy’s house on Winnipesauke with Ian’s grandmother, Aunt Ellen and Lenny, cousins Doug and Michelle and their kids Kyle and Kaitlyn. Kyle and Kaitlyn are the cousins Ben has been so eager to meet all spring – they are exactly the same age as Ben and Nik. We all arrived at the lake cottage in time to have a nice picnic lunch together. Somehow fresh sweet corn and home-made blueberry pie don’t taste as good anywhere else.

After lunch the kids all took off to play. Nik and Kaitlyn took turns leaping off of a rock and Ben and Kyle played with boats in the water and sticks in the woods. The kids had SO much fun playing together. They stayed in the water until their lips were blue, their hand were white, and they were shaking like leaves. (The air was quite cold but the water was warm). As soon as they warmed up a little bit they were ready to go back in.

Doug and Lenny took us all out on their jet skis. Here’s the difference between Ben and Nik. At 35 miles an hour Ben starts to get scared and Nik shrieks “Faster, faster!” Ben definitely takes after me… I’m a chicken when I am not in control. Every time Doug sped up above 30 I would start to get scared – I may need to send Doug a new sweatshirt because I am sure I put holes in his I was digging in so hard with my nails trying to hang on for dear life.

The little cove is as beautiful as I remembered. It is sheltered, quiet, wooded. A pair of loons swam up to the dock and took turns diving for minnows while we sat and watched. It was so peaceful, fun and easy to be there. Maybe next summer we can come and stay for a couple of days and the boys can really get to know their cousins…

No comments: