Re-purposing Clementine Boxes

We love clementines here. Really, really, love them. We love them so much we have a running graph of how many sections each clementine we eat has. (Nerdy, I know.)

The only problem with clementines is what to do with those crates. You can't recycle them and they are ugly and splintery so you can't reuse them. After a while I throw them out; I feel guilty every time I do it. It seems like such a waste. Today, in the midst of a 7 hour cleaning spree, I was hit with inspiration. I sanded the boxes, painted them, decoupaged them, and lined them with fabric.
The first is decoupaged with stamps from all over the world. It is lined with felt. It came out OK. I am using it to hold all the bill paying stuff.

The second is decoupaged with illustrations from a children's magazine that was in the recycle bin. It is lined with fabric from a shirt I bought at the thrift shop. I REALLY love how this one came out.

3 comments:

Annie said...

That green one is adorable!!!

Tina in CT said...

Clever, clever idea. Love the green one with the hedgehog.

Joe Ganci said...

How weird! I just *barely* threw one away, having grabbed the last three clementines before one of my greedy fellow family members stole them. Alas, I have neither the time nor the patience let alone the talent to do this with the boxes...maybe I'll just send them to you!