Thanksgiving Pictures

We had a very traditional thanksgiving dinner: turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes with marshmallows and pecans, pumpkin and pecan pies.

For the past couple of years I have done the same menu so this year I tried something different.
I still brined the turkey in cider but this year I tried the 2-hour, high heat (475) turkey cooking method and it was fantastic. The turkey was so moist. Definitely a keeper.
I made green bean casserole but I made it with a sauce of mushrooms, dried porcini, and cream -- so it was a high-end remake of the traditional version. Another keeper -- pleased the traditionalists AND the gourmets. There were almost no leftovers.
This year I didn't add any sugar to the sweet potatoes at all but I did add evaporated milk that was simmered with a vanilla bean -- another keeper. The marshmallow topping made the kids happy and the not-to-sweet filling was perfect for everyone else -- just the right compromise.
The stuffing was less of a success. I made GF herb bread... but then I didn't add enough broth so the stuffing was a bit dry. I think I am going back to the cornbread stuffing next year.

Three Boys Hamming It Up

Ian and Goody

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great dinner.
Olga